[78-L] question about inventorying a collection

Donna Halper dlh at donnahalper.com.invalid
Mon Jul 13 17:40:39 PDT 2015

Any transcription experts on the list?  I'm going to Cape Cod to help
the daughter of a former broadcaster (now deceased-- died at age 90, and
was in radio off and on for more than five decades) with some
inventorying of materials from his vast collection. He programmed his
own radio shows in the late 30s/early to mid-1940s, and had a bunch of
78s, most of which are now sitting in his garage. Because they were from
the 30s and 40s, they probably aren't very rare, am I right? (I'm trying
to determine what is worth saving, what is worth selling, what is worth
giving away.)  But he also saved some transcriptions, which he had
played on the air. For example, he once told me about playing some music
by Peg LaCentra with Artie Shaw's first orchestra, from 1937.  He said
they were "originally Thesaurus transcriptions."  Not sure what the
history of Thesaurus transcriptions was-- I know about some companies,
but not that one.