[78-L] Summertime

Ray Kilcoyne kil at roadrunner.com.invalid
Sat Jun 6 19:21:57 PDT 2015

Guy Lombardo DID record SUMMERTIME on November 10, 1937, but no vocal.
RayK

If Artie Shaw could record Irving Berlin¹s ³Suppertime,² about a lynching,
as a dance band record with vocal,then I don¹t see what would prevent
³Summertime² from being done that way. I think the perception of the PORGY
AND BESS songs being too highbrow may have kept the dance bands from it.
Certainly Guy Lombardo and Leo Reisman did some of the ³lighter² songs
from the show in dance band renditions.
Dave Weiner