[78-L] Summertime

David Lennick dlennick at sympatico.ca.invalid
Sat Jun 6 19:15:23 PDT 2015

How many hit songs can you get out of an opera that flops? It Ain't Necessarily So did well for Guy Lombardo, Paul Robeson recorded Summertime as "Lullaby (Summertime And the Livin' is Easy"), Billie Holiday recorded it early on, but it wasn't necessarily perceived as a dance tune. And yes, Porgy and Bess was an "opera". Still is.

dl