[78-L] Summertime

David Weiner djwein at earthlink.net.invalid
Sat Jun 6 18:26:36 PDT 2015

If Artie Shaw could record Irving Berlin¹s ³Suppertime,² about a lynching,
as a dance band record with vocal,then I don¹t see what would prevent
³Summertime² from being done that way. I think the perception of the PORGY
AND BESS songs being too highbrow may have kept the dance bands from it.
Certainly Guy Lombardo and Leo Reisman did some of the ³lighter² songs
from the show in dance band renditions.

Dave Weiner