[78-L] Question about opera singer Charlotte Lund

Ray Kilcoyne kil at roadrunner.com.invalid
Wed May 6 14:23:37 PDT 2015

A little added info on GOOD-BYE by clicking on the matrix.
VISSI D'ARTE was on the flip side, and they were recorded in Camden, NJ.
RayK

You probably won't have much luck tracking this recording down, but at least
there is evidence that she did record.
http://adp.library.ucsb.edu/index.php/talent/detail/12115/Lund_Charlotte_vocalist_soprano_vocal
RayK

From: Marie Lamb
Hi everyone--

I've received some questions from a listener about an opera singer who was
from the Central New York area, and who lived during the 78 era.  Perhaps
someone here can help point her in the right direction. I found one item
from the Brooklyn Daily Eagle via Google. The listener is already aware of
this article, but this request is obviously something more specialized. I
quote from her letter:

"I am researching the life and career of (Unni) Charlotte Lund (1870-1951),
who was a well-known operatic singer, director, and producer in New York
City during the 1930s and 1940s. She was born and reared in Oswego, NY and
I am going to present a talk about her in July before a local historical
group."

"Mme. Lund is known to have been a guest on many radio programs dealing
with music. She liked to describe the action of the scene and explain the
meaning of the aria she was going to sing. In the 1930s she organized and
ran an opera company for children which was quite popular. My reason for
writing to you is to ask if you know whether she made any recordings for
private or public use. I would like my audience to hear her voice."

The listener adds, "One caveat must be given. Mme. Charlotte had a first
cousin, Unni Charlotte Lund (1866-1901), who was also well-known in musical
circles. Born in Norway, she immigrated to the United States in 1887. She
was a professor at Syracuse University from 1893 until her untimely and
unexpected death from anemia on November 16, 1901. I mention her because
even contemporary newspaper reporters had trouble differentiating between
the two women. I wish I knew if they ever sang together. They both
reportedly had beautiful voices."

As mentioned, this is certainly a very specialized request, but I figured
if anyone might know if the younger Charlotte Lund ever made any
recordings, this list would be a place to find out.  If anyone knows
anything about this singer, you can e-mail me, or I can give you contact
information for the person who needs to know about Mme. Lund. Any leads
will be appreciated.

Thanks for whatever help you might be able to give--