[78-L] Are There Any Operatic Collectors Still Out There?

Dustin Wittmann dpwittmann at gmail.com.invalid
Thu Mar 19 12:58:04 PDT 2015

I'm a younger 78 collector of about a year, age 30, and joined the list a
couple weeks ago. Most of young collectors, including myself, don't focus
on opera because it isn't portrayed in most online resources for 78s as
sexy and alluring as the prewar blues etc. and because most of us don't
have much opera background besides Bugs Bunny cartoons and television
commercials. I personally actually enjoy opera thanks to an audio lecture
series I downloaded a few years back about opera listening and
understanding, and I patronize my city's opera.

When I go out and look for records, I pass up opera because most of the
stuff out there doesn't have any real resale value, and I barely have
enough room for the stuff that I do focus on let alone a bunch of 12"
World's Greatest Music albums. That said, I'd buy something I recognize as
rare like a G&T if I ever found it, and I'd find room if I had the
opportunity to acquire a collection of rarities.

On Thu, Mar 19, 2015 at 2:34 PM, Ian Ridgeway <ianridgeway at gmail.com.invalid