[78-L] overmodulated CDs

Mark Bardenwerper citrogsa at charter.net.invalid
Mon Mar 16 18:32:19 PDT 2015

On 3/9/2015 10:48 PM, Mark Bardenwerper wrote:
> On 3/9/2015 9:31 AM, Ron Roscoe wrote:
>> "If you do what I do, that is, amplify any track to -1.5db, you might find the normalizing will be unnecessary."
>> I don't understand what this means!  Could you please explain?
>> Thanks,
>> Ron Roscoe+
>>

>> On 3/8/2015 2:32 PM, Rodger Holtin wrote:
>>> MP 11 has the same option in the same place and I have always been
>>> sure it was checked before I started.  If I read you right, you're
>>> suggesting I uncheck that and see if it works any better by not
>>> normalizing across all tracks.  At this point I don't have much to
>>> lose by trying that, which, admittedly, I have never done.  Film at eleven.
>>>
>>> I suppose the other thing to try is to make sure all my tracks are
>>> lower volume than I have been accustomed to using as standard and see
>>> if that makes a difference.
> Using Audacity, you can change the amplification of the file by going to
> "Effect/Amplify." There you are given a choice of amplifying plus or
> minus (in affect quieting) a file by a given amount. If you leave the
> "allow clipping" box unchecked (strongly recommended), you are not
> allowed to put in a value that exceeds the clip level of the loudest
> peak in the file. In the middle, you will see a box that shows the "New
> Peak Amplitude." You can also set this, given the same restrictions. I
> chose -1.5, giving my files consistent "headroom."
>
> I also use this feature when editing sections of a file that vary
> considerably as they progress, such as interviews, plays, performances
> on poorly placed mikes.

I am just in the process of burning a disk using Nero ver. 7.5. Pretty
old by standards, but it works for me. I was fooling around with the
normalization and discovered that there are two methods possible. First
is RMS (Root Mean Square), which increases the average volume by a given
percentage. The second uses percent of maximum. Using RMS would mean
that clipping is still possible. Maximum would prevent this. I also
discovered that normalization, though it can be set on for all tracks on
the main screen, must be set individually for type and value. To set
them all at the same time, click on the first one, hold down the shift
key and click on the last one to select them all, right click,
properties, filters tab, make your selection, check the normalize box,
then click OK.
I have had this program on my computer for a long time and never
realized this.

--
Mark L. Bardenwerper, Sr.

Technology...thoughtfully, responsibly.