[78-L] overmodulated CDs

Mark Bardenwerper citrogsa at charter.net.invalid
Mon Mar 9 20:48:35 PDT 2015

On 3/9/2015 9:31 AM, Ron Roscoe wrote:
> "If you do what I do, that is, amplify any track to -1.5db, you might find the normalizing will be unnecessary."
> I don't understand what this means!  Could you please explain?
> Thanks,
> Ron Roscoe+

Using Audacity, you can change the amplification of the file by going to
"Effect/Amplify." There you are given a choice of amplifying plus or
minus (in affect quieting) a file by a given amount. If you leave the
"allow clipping" box unchecked (strongly recommended), you are not
allowed to put in a value that exceeds the clip level of the loudest
peak in the file. In the middle, you will see a box that shows the "New
Peak Amplitude." You can also set this, given the same restrictions. I
chose -1.5, giving my files consistent "headroom."

I also use this feature when editing sections of a file that vary
considerably as they progress, such as interviews, plays, performances
on poorly placed mikes.

--
Mark L. Bardenwerper, Sr.

Technology...thoughtfully, responsibly.