[78-L] ^what archival really means

DAVID BURNHAM burnhamd at rogers.com.invalid
Tue Feb 10 10:38:37 PST 2015

One thing I should say about "High Fidelity", in the "Hi-Fi" era, (early middle '50s), there were thrown around two criteria that equipment had to have in order to be referred to as "High-Fidelity", it had to have two tone controls, (bass and treble), and there had to be multiple drivers, (woofers and tweeters, and sometimes mid-range speakers called "squakers").  Both of these descriptions became popular at that time, however I did once see a Westinghouse radio from the '40s that was powerful for its day, (using push-pull 6L6Gs in the output stage).  A large wooden upright floor model which had both bass and treble controls and multiple speakers, but it was only an AM and short wave radio.
db

     On Tuesday, February 10, 2015 7:55 AM, Don Cox <doncox at enterprise.net.invalid> wrote:

On 10/02/2015, Joe Salerno wrote:

> Maybe at one time it did, but when everybody started throwing the term
> around to describe whatever they have to offer, no matter how bad, it
> became meaningless.

"Professional" is another such word.

Regards
--