[78-L] ^what archival really means

Malcolm Rockwell malcolm at 78data.com.invalid
Mon Feb 9 10:09:47 PST 2015

Okay, but what about all those Mercury and other early-mid 50s labels? I
have seen perfect graphic transfers of the red ink from the (acidic)
sleeve to the vinyl surface - or the tops of the groove lands, if you
prefer. Seems the gunky, no-stick goop they put on the records made a
perfect transfer medium for the ink(s) on the sleeves. The records do
not sound any different but should be cleaned exceptionally well before
playing (the no-stick goop does get into the grooves and can gum up your
stylus - then it will start jumping grooves - Yuk).
Mal

*******