[78-L] CDs with paper labels

DAVID BURNHAM burnhamd at rogers.com.invalid
Tue Feb 3 08:43:18 PST 2015

I think it is well known amongst collectors and is certainly consistent with my experience that British 78s, especially HMVs, have a lot more crackle than American 78s.  I have acquired "new old stock" HMV sets, never played still in their packing crates from the ware house, looking pristine, which are noisier than RCA pressings of the same records which have been looked after but played regularly. However, I never attributed this to the environmental conditions, I just assumed it was the nature of the material of which they were made.  Fortunately, this noise is addressed extremely well with CEDAR.
db