[78-L] SPC acoustic-electric recordings (was: experimental Victor electric?)

Malcolm Rockwell malcolm at 78data.com.invalid
Mon Feb 2 08:51:36 PST 2015

Sorry, I should have changed the header. Here it is, with the revision,
plus a couple of small corrections to the body copy.

----------

I don't know if Starr Piano Co. (SPC) "had to go back to acoustical a
few times" but they recorded both electric and acoustic versions of a
number of tunes for release on Gennett and were definitely A/B'ing
during Sept. 1926 thru Jan. 1927 (in NYC) and c. Nov. 1926 - Feb. 1927
(in Richmond), with a block of electrics recorded in Chicago from
January until April, 1927, while the Richmond studio geared up for
electrical recording.
There is also a batch of recordings made in Richmond, but using the NY
matrix series numbers (GEX 937 - GEX 1023) in November and December
1927. Why, I do not know. Yet.
Malcolm

*******