[78-L] Bristol and beyond - was Oldest living ...

Rodger Holtin rjh334578 at gmail.com.invalid
Fri Jan 2 17:02:40 PST 2015

RE: [78-L] Bristol and beyond - was Oldest living person to have made a 78?

Earliest mention of the Bristol sessions I remember was Bill Malone's book
"Country Music, USA" which came out in 1968 or 1969 and I read in 1969 or
1970, bought my own copy in 1971.  He discusses the event and noted its
significance but didn't single it out as the "big bang for country music"
(Nolan Porterfield's term), but he did cite a Billboard article from 1953 by
Ralph Peer, "Discovery of the First Hillbilly Great" so that may have been
the first clue to researchers and then the general public outside of Bristol
itself, where it was passing into local folklore.  I started buying the RCA
LPs of Jimmie Rodgers (which came out 1958-1964+) and the liner notes
mentioned the sessions without great fanfare or hoopla.  By 1972 when I
bought the Victor Master Book, I had an inkling of what all else had
happened on Peer's excursion after Bristol.  When I toured the Country Music
Hall of Fame for the first time, probably that next summer ('73), they had a
major display including a pretty cool diorama of the whole scene.  At this
point it was referred to as "The Bristol Sessions," so I may have answered
my own question of when the event became famous as "The Bristol Sessions."
But what of all that stuff Peer waxed in Atlanta and Charlotte, etc?  That
following October in Atlanta gave birth to the Stamps Quartet, which, to a
lot of folks, is the big bang for Southern Gospel (the earlier Vaughan work
notwithstanding, much as Dalhart is overshadowed by Rodgers & the Carters),
but none of the other acts from those sessions quite measure up to Rodgers
and the Carters.  The episode is revered for good reason.