[78-L] Oldest living person to have made a 78?

Cary Ginell soundthink at live.com.invalid
Fri Jan 2 09:05:29 PST 2015

I was keenly aware of it in 1977 when I did a 50th anniversary tribute to the sessions on my country radio show. Tony Russell's Country discography was still 25 years away and I didn't own the Victor Master Book at the time, so I had no way of knowing who else made records at that session - but I did pay tribute to Rodgers and the Carter Family on my program.

Cary Ginell

On Jan 2, 2015, at 8:57 AM, gdkimball at cox.net.invalid wrote:

> I assume that it was only in retrospect that it became iconic. There had been many southern field sessions by 1927, so it wasn't a big deal at the time. Stoneman and some of the other participants had aleady made plenty of records. Atlanta might have a better claim as the "Birthplace of County Music" in terms of timing and volume of recordings.
>
> Gregg
>

> ---- Rodger Holtin iPod <rjh334578 at gmail.com.invalid> wrote:
>>
>> That has been my thought, too.
>>
>> I am really impressed withthe writer.  No references to "vinyl" or
>> "RCA" but did use "Orthophonic"!
>>
>> I have that record and often wondered about who all participated.
>> There are a lot of churches in this part of the world - the American
>> south - (I am in west Tennessee) that still sing just exactly like that.
>>
>> And now my question
>> The story references Johnny Cash's acknowledgement of the Bristol
>> sessions.  I know it got some publicity when it was current news but I
>> have to wonder at what point was it known by scholars?  When was this
>> known by the music fraternity?  Cash, of course, married into the
>> family but was he or anybody else really aware of its significance
>> prior to the Country Music Hall of Fame that really brought it to the
>> fore?  Surely they wee just old records for a long time.
>>
>> Sent from my iPod - which explainz any bad typjng
>>

>> On Jan 2, 2015, at 7:06 AM, Kristjan Saag <saag at telia.com.invalid>
>> wrote:
>>

>>> I always thought there might turn up an acoustic recording with
>>> childrens' voices, and some of the participants still alive. This was
>>> pretty close.
>>> Kristjan

>>> ---
>>> protection is active.