[78-L] 78-L reliable CD-R blanks?

JD jackson1932 at cfl.rr.com.invalid
Sat Dec 27 16:44:19 PST 2014

> Date: Fri, 26 Dec 2014 19:29:36 -1000
> From: Malcolm Rockwell <malcolm at 78data.com.invalid>
> Subject: [78-L] reliable CD-R blanks?
> To: 78-L Mail List <78-l at klickitat.78online.com>
>
> It's been awhile since this came up and time keeps on grinding away and
> things keep changing, SO... what's the latest on which brand of CD
> blanks to buy? Which common brands have the lowest error rate(s) and the
> highest longevity? Remember when we had to look for "Made in Japan" or
> "Made in Taiwan" on the box to get decent quality? All the others (Made
> in China, Viet Nam, Indonesia, etc.) were pretty much crap. Does this
> still apply?
> And, one more thing, what's the best site that gives current CD-R test
> results?
> Here's one I found quickly:
> http://www.cdmediaworld.com/hardware/cdrom/cd_quality.shtml
> Are they reliable? Is there better?
> Happy... er... joyous... ah... merry... um... that is to say...
> Hohohohohohohoho, gang!
> Malcolm

It would seem that one thing that we can count on is that this question will keep coming up probably for as long as CD recording is available and I fervently hope that will be a long time or at least that it outlasts me. It's a much better and logical discussion than CD vs. vinyl.
I can't claim to be an expert in CD recording  matters but I can claim to have had plenty of experience in CD recording on various machines for (I' don't recall when I first started) probably at least fifteen (maybe longer) years.
With one unfortunate  exception I've only used so-called name brand CDR media and a few batches of lesser known semi-name brand media such as   COMPUSA, Dynex, Nashua, KHypermedia and similar whose names elude me. I have NEVER had any problems with any of these, repeat, NEVER! The only grief I ever experienced was caused by my first stand- alone recorder (an early Philips) which made beautiful recordings but was very erratic and produced many coasters. Being an utter CD novice at the time I thought the problem was due to bad or incompatible
media. Naturally it failed completely shortly after the warranty expired. Only then did I realize that the recorder was the culprit. (Y'hang around, y'learn).
I later purchased an HHB recorder and eventually wound up doing all my recording on an ancient Mac G3 and a Dell Inspiron laptop (about three years old)  with no problems other than the eventual failure of the CD recorder/player in the G3. The replacement in the G3 now records at 32x (default) with no apparent problems. The Dell (I use the included software) doesn't state the speed but it is FAST! Again no problems.
Not being a Rockefeller I've always looked for the best prices on CDRs. The one mistake I made was several years ago  in buying an unknown brand (PERI) from an on line vendor whose name is mercifully forgotten. The first batch of 100 was no problem so I bought several more as the price at the time was very reasonable. At first, no problem then it started raining coasters. Because the problems with the second batch became obvious after the return period the vendor refused to make an adjustment. How to lose customers in one easy lesson.

Since relocating six years ago I've used mostly TDK and Memorex media (whichever is available on sale) purchased from the local Office Depot outlet and for a time Dynex (Best Buy) with no problems whatsoever.
My CDR collection numbers  around 1200 plus many made for fellow musicians.
In all that time (other than the problems with the defective Philips) I think it's safe to say that I've produced less that four (if that many) coasters.
JD