[78-L] 45s

Michael Biel mbiel at mbiel.com.invalid
Tue Dec 2 19:56:02 PST 2014

When you talk about this aspect of 45s you have got to identify what
country you are writing from if you are not signing your postings like
rjh334578.  The Brits and much of Europe never were serviced by RCA's
45-only changers, thus they never liked the large hole.  Into the 1980s
most 45s there were "optional centers" with push-out centers.  Bu the
mid-80s they just gave up and used the small hole because all records
come off the presses with the small hole -- the large hole or push-out
perforations are an extra step, even here in the U.S.  The standards for
jukeboxes were supposed to allow for the use of hole size to switch
between 45 and 33 for 7-inch records, so small-hole 45s are
off-standard.

Since most 7-inch records now are from Britain, most have the small
hole.  But remember that the Soviet Union never used the 45 speed
(except for a one-time series exported for sale at Expo 67 Montreal). so
all their 7-inchers are 33.  In the post Soviet years there were two
12-inch 45s issued in Russia around 1991.  I have one of them.

When the 12-inch Disco single became popular, they made them at 45 to
get even better sound and volume, but because the IDIOT RECORD COMPANIES
did not change label formats to show which 12-inch records were 33 and
which were 45 (unlike when they changed label formats when the LP came
in) the U.S. disco jockeys got confused all the time and told the record
companies to make em all 33.  Europeans are smarter and could figure it
out, so most European 12-inch singles are 45.

Mike Biel  mbiel at mbiel.com