[78-L] 78s on cd questions, reissue records, phono cut, etc

Bryan Wright bryan at claxtonola.com.invalid
Mon Oct 27 12:19:35 PDT 2014

I’m surprised to hear copies of “Harmony Dance Bands” are still floating around. That was my pioneer effort at reissuing 78s a dozen or more years ago. That and a collection called “Batwing Melodies” were the only two issues on Phono-Cut. In total, I’d say fewer than two hundred copies of each were made. I’ve long since disowned them — haha.

Since 2004, I’ve been running Rivermont Records, offering reissues mostly of 1920s jazz and dance bands. Needless to say, the sound quality is vastly superior to the two early Phono-Cut releases, and the Rivermont discs are packaged with substantial booklets. They are also professionally pressed (they are *not* CD-R discs). In addition to nine “Big Broadcast” CDs that offer a potpourri of 1920s and ‘30s pop and jazz, the catalogue contains discs devoted to 1920s bandleaders Isham Jones, Charley Straight, Frank Westphal, Irving Aaronson, Lou Gold, Paul Specht, Harry Yerkes (The Happy Six), and others. More information (and a complete catalogue with sound samples) is available at:

http://www.rivermontrecords.com

Best,
Bryan W.