[78-L] Unusual-Record hunting in London

Julian Vein julianvein at blueyonder.co.uk.invalid
Wed Oct 8 01:52:33 PDT 2014

On 08/10/14 05:17, David Breneman wrote:

> I'll be in London for a few days in November, and
> I'm wondering if there's any places where one might find
> esoteric recordings for sale.  I'm thinking transcriptions,
> old advertising records, industrial records, etc., not the
> over-shopped "real" collectors' items.  No chance of
> affording anything in that category.
>
> Still miffed that the BBC won't give me a "bespoke
> tour" of their radio studios and archival operation.
> The tourist tour doesn't sound very enlightening.
> Deutsche Welle is much more welcoming in that regard...
>
> --
> David Breneman
> dbreneman at t-online.de

David,

I live in London but don't know any establishments that fit into your
category, otherwise I would've been to 'em! Your best bet would be
street secondhand markets (Portobello Road on Saturday & Club Row on
Sunday, for example), and what we call "car boot" sales. I haven't
really frequented these for some years. The best time to visit street
markets is before dawn, so you would need to carry a torch with you.

Another option would be house-clearers, charity and secondhand furniture
shops--they're not selective about what they take in.

      Julian Vein