[78-L] Japanese Blue Columbia

Han Enderman jcenderman at solcon.nl.invalid
Fri Oct 3 13:42:23 PDT 2014

I have many label images in the Co 41000-F series.
Some are are later repressings, with later label types, but early original pressings are
"normal" Co Viva-tonal labels, stating "Nipponophone Recording".
The series fits into the many series with music for immigrants.
I recognize a West Coast pressing, and assume they were pressed there for the
Japanese in California, and not for export to Japan.
No idea if the recordings were made especially for Columbia.
Blue wax is noted for several early items.

"(Printed in Japan)" is not shown through 41312-F, but appears on my scan of 41390-F.
I do not think it is an error for Recorded in Japan. This is already evident from
Nipponophone Rec.
And "Recorded in Europe" or similar texts are so common on Vic/Co/OK labels
that an error seems unlikely. Moreover, why would they continue an error for
very many releases and repressings?
My guess would be that the labels were printed in Japan, as stated, and send to
California, so there could be no confusion or errors when printing the labels.

On some later issues appears a number in a 29000 series above (Printed in J),
starting with 41617-F (29000). Maybe a Nipponophone number?
41632-F = 29115.
Now the label type has been changed a little, and "Electrical Process" is printed
above the label name, but still in (pseudo-)"Japanese" characters.
The highest number I have is 41974-F; mxs 79036/7.

han enderman
===
>>> It says right on the label that it was "Made and Pat'd in the USA".  The
company address is New York.  The only thing out of the ordinary is that
the label also says "Printed In Japan".  I bet they meant to say
"Recorded in Japan".  It is numbered in the -F series.

Mike Biel  mbiel at mbiel.com