[78-L] Audio - Mac vs PCs - any advice?

David Breneman dbreneman at t-online.de.invalid
Thu Sep 11 07:25:39 PDT 2014

Von: "Rodger J. Holtin" <rjh334578 at gmail.com.invalid>

> There's a lot more to this story than is worth telling here, but perhaps I
> should have been a little more precise, anyway.  I have had to deal with
> both at work, so I know many of the issues between the two.  Are there any
> preferences in terms of audio gear relating to either that would seem
> significant?  I'm used to Nero and Audacity use on PC - anybody use those
> on a Mac.  Is garageband useful at all for what we likely do with audio
> transfer, de-click, EQ, burn CDs etc?

I use Audacity on Suse Linux and it runs very well.  The only problem is
that you cannot *import* mp3 files due to licensing issues, but for the rare
instances that source material is given to me as mp3 I can use the
Windows XP PC in my studio, which really doesn't do anything except
run Audacity.  I've never run Audacity on a Mac.

The one audio utility that I do run on my Mac laptop, and one that I
can recommend, is SoundByte, which is a cart machine replacement.
Except for the fact that there is no ability to mix the individual files
playing (such as doing cross fades, etc) except with fiddly little sliders
on each "cart" it's otherwise quite versatile and stable.