[78-L] Gerald Wilson

Jeff Sultanof jeffsultanof at gmail.com.invalid
Wed Sep 10 06:49:18 PDT 2014

Wilson's 1944-47 big band was one of the most progressive bands of the era,
and is still not as well known as it should be, because it recorded for
such small labels as Excelsior and Black and White. Wilson was just about
to sign a contract with Mercury when he decided that he was becoming famous
too soon, and wanted to educate himself further in music. Of course in a
matter of months, both Ellington and Basie wanted him to work for them.

There is a CD of his Jubilee broadcasts, and since they are perhaps the
only live performances of this ensemble extant, they are invaluable.