[78-L] Gerald Wilson

Cary Ginell soundthink at live.com.invalid
Tue Sep 9 18:27:43 PDT 2014

I took "Introduction to Jazz" from Wilson back in 1976 when I was an undergrad at Cal State University Northridge. The class was an eye-opener. Wilson was smart, he was funny, he played hip records, and he had an entertaining way of teaching that stuck with me for years. I got to interview him in the mid-90s and he remembered me as the "cat who likes Jimmy Smith." Loved the man.

I only recently got a copy of his "Algerian Fantasy" on Federal, which has a hot Afro-Cuban flute solo that I love.

Cary Ginell