[78-L] HAPPY BIRTHDAY

David Lennick dlennick at sympatico.ca.invalid
Mon Jul 21 19:41:01 PDT 2014

The ASCAP site lists artists who recorded it but no dates. Johnny Hartman might
be the first...August 6, 1951. Sunny Gale is just shown in Lord as "late 1951".
The WonkyPackia article about The Cardinals is full of inconsistencies
(Abramson discovering the group in 1951, then having them come to NY in 1950,
releasing the song in February 1951 etc).

Sorry Johnny, you've been displaced by Al Costello. Who!?
http://www.secondhandsongs.com/work/89387/all

Yep. Al Costello, on Crescendo.
http://www.originals.be/en/originals.php?id=6838

dl