[78-L] ^ Diamond Disc Collection - Wrapped in 1944 Newspaper

Malcolm Rockwell malcolm at 78data.com.invalid
Thu Jul 17 09:23:49 PDT 2014

Not to go too far afield, but I'd like to see the crossword puzzle(s).
Since they began being published and started becoming popular roughly
right around the same time the phonograph was invented (very roughly),
the English language has morphed as it absorbed and rejected local and
idiomatic variations. So words, phrases and brand names that are popular
today were not necessarily so at the turn of the 20th century.
Doing early puzzles, even after they were introduced in newsprint c.
1917 in the Boston Globe, is challenging and requires some research
today. Ours will no doubt be similar for someone doing a 2010 crossword
in 2080.
Even humorous references change from era to era, but, fortunately, puns
go on forever.
Malcolm

*******