[78-L] OT Anyone a DVD player tech - know about repairs ???

Mark Bardenwerper citrogsa at charter.net.invalid
Wed Jul 9 15:53:22 PDT 2014

On 7/9/2014 1:32 PM, Thomas Stern wrote:
> I have an inexpensive DVD/BD player which has failed after 4 years use.
>
> The rational course of action would be to discard it and buy a new one.
> However...
>

> I opened the unit to retrieve the disc which was stuck inside.
>
> There are 3 major components - a couple of boards - one connected to power,
> another probably all the player logic, and
>
> a disc drive, drawer, laser assembly - in addition there a display,
> switches, and sockets attached to various sections of the case.
>

> I notice that the transport assembly, and the power supply card are
> available on the web for not a lot of money - described as used but working.
>

> Anyone have  experience with this hardware venture a guess as to which of
> the 3 major sub-assemblies most likely to have failed?
>
> Has anyone successfully resurrected a dead player ??

If major functions such as drawer opening do not work, first look to see
whether the display shows the command to open, or whether it changes at
all when buttons are pressed. That can be the power supply. If you put a
disk in and it hunts and chatters then gives a "no disk found" message,
then the drive is probably toast.

These DVD players are designed to die. I have kept mine going only by
having it connected to a power strip. Otherwise, they actually are "on"
all the time. The disadvantage of this is that if you have any
programming on it, it will forget.

Time for another trip to Wally World.

--
Mark L. Bardenwerper, Sr.