[78-L] Recording Quality - a relative term

David Sanderson dwsanderson685 at roadrunner.com.invalid
Mon Jul 7 07:03:32 PDT 2014

On 7/7/2014 1:16 AM, Mike Harkin wrote:

> .>CYLINDERS< sound better than today's pop music
> productions!  Never mind the garbage 'lyrics.'
>
> Mike in Plovdiv

I don't think it's been mentioned specifically, but one of my big
objections to current consumer fodder is that it's all engineering, not
music, piled up like the famous McGee closet and cascaded onto the
listener with no particular regard for the result. Singers don't
enunciate, lyrics are incomprehensible, accompaniments drown everything.

Had an interesting experience recently. I got a 1960's LP on the
Canadian ARC label, by Hal Lone Pine and Jeannie Ward, this apparently
from the period following his divorce from Betty Cody, when he was
operating out of Regina, SK. ARC was in Toronto, and I don't know
anything about their operation, but when I played the record it was a
surprise - clean, full sound, nice separation amongst the instruments,
good reproduction of solo and duet singing. Maybe someone knows more
about ARC and will tell us; but this is certainly the best example I've
heard lately of what people have been saying about the state of the
recording art during this discussion. ARC's liner notes make much of
their technology and care; and they're right, I think you'd be hard put
to find a CD this good.

--
David Sanderson
East Waterford Maine