[78-L] Scott Joplin on 78s?

Andrew Evans andrew.evans at sfr.fr.invalid
Wed Jun 25 12:50:25 PDT 2014

Scott Joplin on 78s? No, I don't believe it either.

But the forum's been quiet recently, so here we go.

I have an LP, another from the Riverside "Classic Jazz Masters" series (Dr
Hans R Rookmaaker, who was mentioned here not long ago) entitled "Scott
Joplin, Ragtime Pioneer" (RLP 8815 or RM 8815). The liner notes are undated
and there's no copyright information on the disc, but the notes refer to
Rudi Blesh's book (published 1959). I bought the LP in 1968, so whenever it
comes from, it predates 'The Sting' by at least five years.

The whole LP's a dog's breakfast of unattributed 78s apparently made from
piano rolls, five of which Dr Rookmaaker states are by Joplin himself,
though without any supporting testimony, or names of the other performers.
So I'm not sure I really believe that, either.

Of the 13 titles listed (there are actually 14 but as I said, the whole
thing's a dog's breakfast) Rust mentions only two: Morton's version of
Original Rags (which this definitely ain't), and about 25 versions of Maple
Leaf Rag. So presumably Brian Rust never saw any of these discs either.

I've no reason to doubt the good Dr Rookmaaker's assertion that they are 78s
made from piano rolls. They are totally lacking in dynamics (hence piano
rolls), sound like electric recordings (but not good enough to be post-war)
and most of them run to within a few seconds of three minutes, which
suggests that the player-piano was paced to fill the side, regardless of the
roll's intended playing time. One "side", which is actually a medley of Pine
Apple Rag and Euphonic Sounds, runs to 4'55".

Does anybody out there have any information about these alleged 78s ... or
any speculative suggestions about where they might have come from? Or does
anyone know of a piano-roll collector who might have anything written or
plausibly performed by Joplin?

Andrew in Luxembourg