[78-L] Are AV 12000s the rarest discs on the planet ? [exasperated rhetorical question]

Doug Caldwell rw78stuff at comcast.net.invalid
Wed Jun 25 09:38:51 PDT 2014

Harold - Yes – I’ve noticed those labels you mentioned are scarce as well.
It took a few years, but one (of two) Yerkes Jazarimbas that I needed to
hear on Starr-Gennett from 1917 did finally come ‘round. (Wiedoeft was not
on it, though he did make 2 Columbia Jazzarimba sides during the same
period—concurrent to the Frisco Jazz Band). The other Starr-Gennett remains
just a myth to me.

	I’ve also noticed a few barren spots amongst lateral Brunswicks c.
1920-23. For years ebay helped me tick off most of my Brunswick “want” list
for that period, but there remain about 20 that just NEVER come up. I wonder
if, anticipating public demand for given discs, companies released more of
some, less of others. Or, was manufacture dictated by the orders coming in
from dealers?

	I understand collectors play a roll in what we find out there today.
And there aren’t many that would have made the effort to preserve the
Aeolian Dance Orchestra (or even Yerkes Novelty Five) discs, on which I’m
finding early Wiedoeft contributions. But some of these are SO scarce that
I’m assuming it reflects (as you say)  limited distribution (and so, limited
manufacture?) Plus -  some of the series we are talking about were pre-boom
(or just on the cusp) so it probably reflects, also, the tepid numbers and
distribution efforts that were the norm BEFORE everything ramped up after
the war.

	But Really! In some cases these companies seem to have spent more
money advertising and announcing these discs, than they did on actually
producing them ---    :)

dc