[78-L] Are AV 12000s the rarest discs on the planet ? [exasperated rhetorical question]

Harold Aherne leotolstoy_75 at yahoo.com.invalid
Tue Jun 24 18:38:46 PDT 2014

Aeolian probably didn't have very wide distribution at the time and their product may have been sold only in limited locations (or, as you suggest, with Aeolian phonographs). Late 1910s vertical-cut Brunswick and Gennett discs are none too common either, although OkeH seems to turn up a little more often. In my experience, I've never been able to find electric Emersons (1926-27) very much; the same sides are more common on Bell.

There's also the issue of collector interest in the material to be found on the AV 12000s. Black Pattis and early 30s Paramounts command four-figure prices (sometimes beyond), but few people pay much attention to Shannon Quartet records, say, even if they actually may be as rare. "Splatter-wax" AVs are definitely feathers in some collectors' caps, though!

The ODJB's Vocalions have sometimes turned up on Ebay; about 15 such auctions can be found on Popsike, at prices from $78 to the $600s. Three Sophie Tucker AVs are on there as well.

-HA