[78-L] 7What key is that in?

Malcolm Rockwell malcolm at 78data.com.invalid
Tue Jun 10 10:55:38 PDT 2014

Thanks for the interesting reply and observations.
My "chest resonance" theory actually points up that there is no such
thing as "perfect pitch." It's actually all relative pitch. You are
relating all secondary pitches to one you are familiar with, thus
"relative pitch."
I agree with your "untrained ear" observation. It is mine too.
Also with discovering a great piano tuner. I have found a few in my
time. Unfortunately they get old and die and are mostly replaced with
amateurs with electronic gizmos that do all the underlying work for
them. Badly.
As to different keys on the piano sounding out of tune to C or A. If you
do not temper the tuning that Gb will be all over the place, and other
keys wiill be "colored" also. Personality of a key comes mostly from
fingerings and hand positions as well as the specific training the
pianist has, but I didn't mention that. It's why Ab and Eb are great for
ragtime, C and G are great for boogie-woogie.  Seems though that E an A
are only used for blues because the guitarists use a standard E or A
tuning. There's also the differences in perceived harmonics due to
different techniques and materials that go into the manufacture of a piano.
One of my favorite pieces for piano is "Rhapsody In Blue" mostly because
it uses almost all the key sigs there are for the same theme (the first
one, as expressed in the opening bars, played by a clarinet in concert.
I haven't looked to see which keys are not used but the piece really
gives a piano player a workout on a lot of levels!
Thanks again for an intriguing read.
Malcolm

*******