[78-L] Recent bouncing emails and shutdowns

Ron Fial ron at fial.com
Thu May 1 18:10:30 PDT 2014

Some 78-L users have had their out-going email from the 78-l LIST stopped recently.

If the 78-L server gets too many bounces when sending you emails from the 78-L list,it shuts you down and sends you a message.   This is for efficiency reasons, its crazy to queue up many emails and to keep re-trying to send them if they are always rejected, after a while there are 100's waiting to be delivered

The affected seem to have ISPs in three doamins: live.com, hotmail.com and yahoo.com, or else whose emails are relayed via those domains to other sub-domains.

The 78-L logs show this delivery problem affecting the following members, perhaps there are a few others, just searched the last 48 hours of /var/log/mail:

       dlennick, BobT78,  dnjchi,  jfleming63,
       ehayhoe, backden,  soundthink and mchester.

The messages are being rejected for 'policy reasons', and I have not yet discovered 'exactly' what that means.

I just started investigating an hour ago when D. Lennick gave me a heads-up email.  May need a few phone calls to get to the bottom of this.

Regards,
    Ron Fial   78-L list manager