[78-L] 78-L can't stand Art Tatum WAS name that era

Don Cox doncox at enterprise.net
Tue Apr 29 05:27:28 PDT 2014

On 28/04/2014, JD wrote:

>> Date: Mon, 28 Apr 2014 08:43:06 -1000
>> From: Malcolm Rockwell <malcolm at 78data.com>
>> Subject: Re: [78-L] name that era
>> To: 78-L Mail List <78-l at klickitat.78online.com>
>>
>> Oh, come on now! Your taste is your taste and you are certainly
>> entitled to it. I don't particularly like big band music. In jazz I
>> can't stand Art Tatum (and I'm a piano player) and I've been called
>> out on both of these. I do like blues but there are few here that
>> really appreciate that style. And so on.
>> Hang around. Eventually you'll find someone who shares your passion.
>> Malcolm
>>
>> *******
>
>  If you   "can't stand  Art Tatum (and I'm a piano player)" ...
>  you are definitely NOT a piano player. You may think you are and
> that's okay for you, There are opinions and then there's reality.
> Cheers, JD

Tatum is not easy to listen to, in my opinion. It took me a while to get
my head around his music, and I think it could be argued that he was too
technical.

It is easy to get so involved in harmony and counterpoint that you are
making music only for other experts. Busoni is perhaps another example.

This is a problem for all the arts. How to break through to what Schnabel
called "the second simplicity".

Regards
--
Don Cox