[78-L] 78-L can't stand Art Tatum WAS name that era

Julian Vein julianvein at blueyonder.co.uk
Mon Apr 28 16:37:36 PDT 2014

On 28/04/14 23:50, JD wrote:
>> Date: Mon, 28 Apr 2014 08:43:06 -1000
>> From: Malcolm Rockwell <malcolm at 78data.com>
>>

>> Oh, come on now! Your taste is your taste and you are certainly entitled
>> to it. I don't particularly like big band music. In jazz I can't stand
>> Art Tatum (and I'm a piano player) and I've been called out on both of
>> these. I do like blues but there are few here that really appreciate
>> that style. And so on.
>> Hang around. Eventually you'll find someone who shares your passion.
>> Malcolm
>>
>> *******
>    If you   "can't stand  Art Tatum (and I'm a piano player)" ...
>    you are definitely NOT a piano player.  You may think you are and that's okay for you, There are opinions and then there's reality. Cheers, JD

I don't care for Art Tatum, although I have few things by him. He and
Bill Evans both seem to be musicians' musicians, admired for things
other than creativity. The same thing for Buddy Rich who, for all his
technique, was of limited imagination, especially in small groups.

When I started collecting in 1956 the jury was out on Tatum and, it
seems, still is. I have heard very little Tatum that doesn't jar at some
point--the runs and the quotes.

      Julian Vein