[78-L] Johnnie Ray

rjh334578gmail rjh334578 at gmail.com
Mon Apr 28 21:34:21 PDT 2014

He was the subject of the cover story in Record Research - the first
issue of my new subscription.  Remember who the editors were and their
favorite music - jazz of the 1920s, so far as I could ever tell.  I
learned a lot from that issue, some even about Johnny's hearing loss.
He was only 20 years off the charts when that issue came out. That was
pretty recent stuff compared to the bulk of the stuff they championed
in RR.

    The point here being, like him and his stuff or not, his work is
still worthy of study and research by somebody, if not me.

That holds true for every name we've bashed here lately.   Some we
just love to hate, Jolson, Ray, Tatum or Moten, we all have our
favorites - and our favorite targets.

"I wonder what Dick Todd is doing tonight."

Sent from my iPod - which explainz any bad typjng