[78-L] Al Jolson's fame

David Lennick dlennick at sympatico.ca
Fri Apr 25 11:22:57 PDT 2014

Even within the 3 minute limitation of a recording, Jolson could put across the
energy and spirit of stage performances. There are a couple of Columbias where
he banters with the conductor (Prince, probably). Hardly a minor recording
artist since he was on Columbia for ten years before Brunswick offered him the
moon and the "world's greatest entertainer" label credit. He was dropped by
1932, but so was just about everybody.

dl