[78-L] Al Jolson's fame

Ron L'Herault lherault at verizon.net
Fri Apr 25 11:18:12 PDT 2014

According to Geoge Jessel, Jolson was an excellent monologist.  He was well
known and loved for the comedy he did as well as for his (in my opinion)
amazing singing.    When you consider that many early audience members
traveled only by public transportation in the early 1900s, it is mind
boggling to remember that Jolson's audiences were perfectly willing to sit
and listen to Jolson perform long after the last subway/streetcars had
stopped running!  He had incredible energy in his movement/dancing.  Moves
that we still see people doing today, Jolson did first as far as I can tell.

Ron L