[78-L] Almanac Singers first album

Han Enderman jcenderman at solcon.nl
Tue Mar 25 21:43:24 PDT 2014

Had not yet noticed this before, but there are 2 versions of the 101 Album, pres. with the same Music Room records inside (which mention Keynote on labels).
The first version (of which I have a single bad image) states along the lower border of the front cover:
"The Music Room International Series - Set 101", just as on the labels.
The later, more common version gives "The Keynote Recordings, Inc." with address, and "Album Nr. 101".

I have a single image of Music Room/Keynote 4-A (Paddy Ryan), which mentions Made in England 1940,
WMA Topic Records Club.
But the surprise is now that this label also states "The Music Room's International Series - Set 102",
so this would be Keynote Album 102 I assume.
Then why another album K-102, as I said, and why was the first (and only) Almanac Records Album numbered 102 ??

han enderman
===
>>> I'm looking for info but I'm pretty sure that 6 Songs For Democracy was never a
K number, being on the Music Room International label instead. Seems to me that
the second Music Room album was a set of records dubbed from Topic (UK). I've
had one of the discs and am looking to see where I logged the information.

dl

On 3/25/2014 11:10 PM, Han Enderman wrote:
> The first album by the Almanac Singers (Seeger etc) was released in May 1941 as Almanac Records Album 102.
> Due to its political aims, the 3 records were not released on Keynote, but on this special label, and were only available for a short time.
> Keynote Album 101 (6 Songs For Democracy: Discos De Las Brigadas Internacionales) had been issued in 1940(?).
> Can it be confirmed that the Almanac number (102) was actually the next number in the Keynote 100 series ?
> There is however a real Keynote Album K-102, Early American Ballads by John&  Lucy Allison.
> Remarkable is the K prefix, which does not occur on the cover of early Keynote albums.
> When was K-102 issued and was this cat.nr used to fill the gap in the numerical album list?
>
> han enderman
<<<