[78-L] Robert Johnson

David Sanderson dwsanderson685 at roadrunner.com
Sat Mar 22 12:36:01 PDT 2014

On 3/22/2014 3:14 PM, David Lennick wrote:
> That idiotic theory about Robert Johnson's records being at the wrong speed has
> surfaced again (sorry to divert the list from rock 'n' roll). I don't know who
> wrote the following but it should certainly settle the issue forever. Of course
> it won't. Repeated from Bruce Conforth's posting on Facebook.
>
> dl

Very nice, and shouldn't be surprising.

I've heard a similar theory about Bill Monroe's early Bluegrass cuts,
make the pitch higher etc. The problem there is first of all Monroe,
whose fierce pride in his music would never have permitted that to
happen; and secondly a confirmation from Mac Wiseman, who was on some of
these early sides. I had a chance to ask him about these recordings a
number of years ago, and he confirmed that there was a general shift up
a key or so - it sounded higher because it was higher, Monroe pushing
the style to get that high, sharp-edged harmony. Much later, Kenny Baker
was asked why he left the Monroe band after so many years; he replied
that he was just plain tired of having to play in the key of B all the time.

--
David Sanderson
East Waterford Maine
dwsanderson685 at roadrunner.com