[78-L] Rock & Roll rising

Joe Scott joenscott at mail.com
Wed Mar 19 10:32:04 PDT 2014

Since the only purpose of the expression "rhythm and blues" (a la "race" music and other terms) was to describe whatever music was currently most popular with blacks, of course some rhythm and blues was jazz sometimes and some rhythm and blues was rock and roll sometimes, or it could be "Sweet Georgia Brown" by Brother Bones or eventually "Papa's Got A Brand New Bag" once someone invented that sound or whatever else. That's why Chuck Berry could sing "dig these rhythm and blues" and about "rock" and "roll" in "Roll Over Beethoven," which was rhythm and blues and was rock and roll.
Joseph Scott