[78-L] AAF Orchestra 1944

bill freytag bill_freytag at yahoo.com
Mon Mar 17 16:59:39 PDT 2014

Hello all,

On 04JUL44, the Army Air Forces Orchestra, billeted at Santa Ana, California performed a concert sponsored by the Los Angeles Times, in support of The Fifth War Loan Drive at The Hollywood Bowl.

Participants included Bing Crosby, James Melton, Ginny Simms and Ella Mae Morse, and the Orchestra was conducted by Lt. Col Eddie Dunstedter and M/Sgt Felix Slatkin.

Part of the concert was broadcast, although I do not know whether it was a local, regional, or nationwide presentation or on what station or network.

At the present time I am doing a research project for two friends of mine, each of whom had a parent who was a member of the Orchestra. I'm hoping that one or more of you might have a source for either original broadcasts discs or high-quality dub of the concert. Further, I'm looking for a copy of the program that was sold at the concert ($0.25!) and / or any photographs taken by the participants or audience members.

Please let me know if you have any of these items and are willing to share / sell them.

Thanks,

Bill