[78-L] Rock & Roll rising

eugene hayhoe jazzme48912 at yahoo.com
Mon Mar 17 15:24:24 PDT 2014

Joe - Don't forget that Hamp & Wynonie worked & recorded together.

Muddy's early Aristocrat duos with Big Crawford were the Crawford recordings I was referring to.
As for Knowling, he was not only on Crudup's best known sides, he was also on others by the likes of John Lee Williamson and Big Joe Williams.

Further, it is clear to me that 'a lick vocabulary' was being built up by Christian, T-Bone, and many other late '40s electric guitarists that rolled on to include 'the Chuck Berry licks' when Chuck came around.  And what is ''Rudy's Rock'' other than rehashed Jacquet, Willis Jackson, Big Jay?

Willis Jackson with the Cootie Williams Orchestra

Gator Tail part 1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g_qVyMMRtAk

Gator Tail part 2
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gmfpLDfEICs

Milt Gabler was quite open about modeling the Haley records he was associated with after those of Jordan, whom he had also produced on prior occasions.