[78-L] Flexo Record questions

Malcolm Rockwell malcolm at 78data.com
Sat Mar 15 09:53:40 PDT 2014

Sounds to me like they're trying to have the user shape the steel (or
whatever) needle somewhat before playing the record. Makes sense, kinda,
maybe. But wouldn't playing the runout first cause the needle to shape
along an angle of rotation - albeit minor, maybe 1/2 a degree (?) - that
would not face the groove when the record is then played from the
outside? Theoretically that might cause an angular burr on the stylus
and thus cause MORE damage to the modulated groove than using the run in
groove to break in the needle.
Just thinking out loud.
Malcolm

*******