[78-L] Escott, was Arnold Covey

eugene hayhoe jazzme48912 at yahoo.com
Sat Mar 8 03:51:09 PST 2014

POLYRHYTHMS are as basic to 'African derived music' as they are not apparently to the Yahoo spell checker, LOL.

 Subject: Re: [78-L] Escott, was Arnold Covey
 To: "78-L Mail List" <78-l at klickitat.78online.com>
 Date: Saturday, March 8, 2014, 12:23 AM

 That's why it's not good to
 generalize when talking about rock 'n' roll. I just got a
 record by the Treniers of "Good Rockin' Tonight" and it's
 decidedly emphasizing the off-beat (2 & 4). Bill Haley's
 records were like that as well. This element could be found
 in western swing as well - the 2/4 beat that was made for
 dancing. Listen to any Chuck Berry record and you'll that as
 well.

 Cary Ginell

 On Mar 7, 2014, at 7:11 AM, Ron L'Herault <lherault at verizon.net>
 wrote:

 > I wonder too if there are subtleties of rhythm that
 changed.  Jump bands
 > still swing from what I hear of them and rock bands
 tend to my ears to be
 > more 1-2-3-4 with little to no emphasis on any one
 particular beat.

 > Ron L

 On Behalf Of Mark Bardenwerper
 > Sent: Thursday, March 06, 2014 11:59 PM
 > To: 78-L Mail List
 > Subject: Re: [78-L] Escott, was Arnold Covey
 >
 > On 3/6/2014 9:01 PM, Cary Ginell wrote:
 >> It has more to do with the role the guitarist
 plays, in my opinion, vs.
 > tenor sax. Just having electric guitar in a group isn't
 the sole criteria. I
 > don't think it's possible to define what is rock n roll
 and what isn't and
 > have everyone agree. I listened to Rock This Joint by
 Preston and it still
 > sounds like R&B/jump to me.
 >>
 >> Cary
 >>
 > Can't help but agree with this in principal.
 Blues/R&B/jump had the same
 > rhythm and chord progressions going way back.
 > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gdZYayVhXVQ
 > I think it was almost entirely how it was marketed and
 brought into
 > prominence. We might easily agree that what we might
 recognize as rock
 > probably was being played somewhere before there were
 mikes around to record
 > it. And I think also it has to do with when it became
 acceptable to a larger
 > white audience through various means, possible taken on
 as a symbol of
 > independence to an emerging adolescent culture (read,
 James Dean). AND when
 > it supplanted the old dance music (though I remember
 every guy wanted to
 > "slow dance" with is favorite chick even in the 60's
 when I was a lad).