[78-L] A unique side break

Michael Shoshani michael.shoshani at gmail.com
Sun Mar 2 12:58:03 PST 2014

On 03/02/2014 11:24 AM, David Lennick wrote:
> When a recording is split over 2 sides of a 78, there are ways to let you know
> it's time to flip the disc..just heard one of the most unique ones, on Rev. A.
> W. Nix's "Black Diamond Express to Hell". "And now the Black Diamond train will
> stop just a minute to take on brimstone for hell."
>
> dl

Paul Whiteman's orchestra did a small-group record for Victor in March,
1936, under the name "Paul Whiteman presents the Teagarden Boys and
Trumbauer Swing Section". It was "I'se A-Muggin'", spread out over both
sides of a 10 inch disc. At the end of the first side, Jack Teagarden
tells Carl Kress about a numbers game tied with the song, promising to
tell him all about it after the record is turned over to the other side.
Side two starts with Kress demanding "Well come on now, Jackson, tell me
all about the numbers."

Michael Shoshani
Chicago