[78-L] Transcription info sought

H D Goldman thedoctor at discdoc.com
Mon Feb 10 13:57:07 PST 2014

Hi Russ,

While ammonia solutions such as Windex can remove the palmitic acid residues that result from the breakdown of the binder, they are poor cleaners of the other contaminants typically found on lacquer discs. The same can be said of volatile, hydrocarbon solvents such as paint thinners or mineral spirits as well as common household soaps or detergents, which generally leave residues of their own.  Equally important to keep in mind is the fact that ammonia solutions can leave hydroxide [caustic]residues that over time can permanently harm the surface.  If ammonia is used, I suggest thoroughly rinsing the disc twice with distilled or RO filtered water as a final step.

 We have offered products for the safe & thorough cleaning of lacquer & shellac surfaces for 25 yrs.  Our original record cleaning solution has usually been successful in removing light to moderate palmitic acid deposit using the same approach we recommend for cleaning vinyl discs.  Heavier or more stubborn deposits can require longer contact time & or a second application of Cleaner.  This approach is not well suited to large amounts of palmitic acid or hard/dense deposits that are slow to react to a water-based solution.

In response to requests for a more effective lacquer cleaner, we've developed a separate product, based on our original record cleaner, that has so far proven more effective on hardened palmitic acid residues.  Fluids are applied with applicators mated to record diameter & label size, minimizing the chance of wetting the label area.  At this time a number of US institutions, archives & individuals are using this water-based, biodegradable solution.

In some situations it may be more expedient to use volatile organic solvents followed by a thorough wash & rinse.  Safety, health & environmental concerns should inform our choices as well.

Cheers,

Duane Goldman

On Feb 10, 2014, at 6:03 AM, RUSSELL BARNES <r.barnes4 at btopenworld.com> wrote:

> Thanks Ron,
>
> I'm advised that Windex is not available in the UK (perhaps Windex is an American product).  I'm searching to establish if there is a UK equivalent.
>
> Russ Barnes
> While ammonia

H D Goldman Lagniappe Chemicals Ltd.
PO Box 37066 St. Louis, MO 63141 USA