[78-L] Problem with very high energy incorporated into remastered 78s

Philip Carli Philip_Carli at pittsford.monroe.edu
Tue Feb 4 09:16:20 PST 2014

The information may be there, but one question is "what is the purpose of hearing it?"  I'm not saying that to be sarcastic, but there are different experiences listening to acoustical records in different ways and with different equipment, and all have advantages and disadvantages according to the philosophy and aesthetics used in the approach. Listening to acousticals in varying mechanical and electronic ways produces very different responses; sometimes "less is more", sometimes you want to uncover hitherto "hidden" sounds, sometimes there is too much (or too little) manipulation, but many considerations have to come into play to assess them. PC