[78-L] R&B 78's ned iding

Phil Etgart philetgart at tinyworld.co.uk
Tue Feb 4 03:15:52 PST 2014

Hi there
I was recommended to you by Koenraad G. Kamphuijs a.k.a. The Rocking Dutchman.  I am  Phil ENTHUCOL, I research and compile reissues of the US  R&B that was played by the original Jamaican sound systems of the late 40s and  1950s (e.g. 'Jumpin  The Shuffle Blues', 'Jamaica Selects Jump Blues Strictly For You' and the soon to be released 'Jump Blues Jamaica Way' all triple CD sets issued by Fantastic Voyage). One of the problems I have is that very often records that turn up in former Jamaican Sound System collections have the artist title credits scratched off labels so I need as many sources as I can get to help id these tunes.

 For example some I am trying to id at present are the following;

Daddys Little Country Girl' - Not Dave Bartholomew
'Hey Hey Mr  Berry'
'Blow Big Bill Blow' - Mainly inst lyric at start goes 'Blow Big Bill Blow like you always do, blow big bill and let me blow one too'
 Silent Partner (?) - Not Champion Jack Dupree
 "Youre So Fine And You Love Me"
 Goodbye Baby / Got A  Brand New Baby - Not Lester Williams
 "You  Been Getting round baby, that's the news all over town" - suggested might be by James Wayne
 Joe Turner (Possibly covered up as JT?) - Boogie Woogie Rambler - Is this actually Clarence 'Gatemouth' Brown Boogie Rambler or is there a Joe Turner recoprding that fits the bill?
 "Ho Ho Ho, You Don't Want Me No More' - Not Fats  Domino  recorded/penned song
 MVC - I Cant Wait No More
 MVC -  Baby I Got News For You  - "You say you got no eyes for any other guys and only i will do" (Not Calvin Bose)
 MVC - Lets Go Boogie Woogie - "If you wanna boogie Baby and boogie right, boogie all night we can go boogie.. Lets Go Boogie Woogie, takes us all night long"
 MVC - Good Good Wine Is Fine - "Im Free As A Bird that's flying High and down, If I keep Drinking Wine I Just Wont Be Nowhere.."
 MVC - Shirley Gee "Oh Shirley Gee Why You Treat Me So Mean, Your Love For Me Dear Was Just Another Dream" - suggetsed Earl Curry, but cant trace it?
 MVC Duo - Loneliest Guy In Town - "The Blues Have Got Me  Now .."
 "Darling please listen and understand this song, For in every  ??? they have done wrong, So please forgive me honey and  come back, For in my  heart you'll always be mine"

Any id's or suggestions welcomed

 Phil E