[78-L] Bessie Smith on Parlophone

wes williams wes at lvcott.fsnet.co.uk
Mon Feb 3 14:17:20 PST 2014

R2476 to R2483 were released in the UK (in early 1938?) as The Bessie Smith Memorial Album, see Parlophone 1944 Rhythm Style catalogue (http://www.concertinas.org.uk/PDF/RS1944.pdf)
for records/personnel. This series (R100) started in June 1928, with 'Rhythm Style' releases designated almost from the beginning, and continued beyond The Beatles 45rpms to early CD singles. All 78s were individually issued, although some could also be purchased in album sets. Only some of the records issued in the R100 series were part of the 'Rhythm Style' series.
  .. wes