[78-L] Jimmy Lytell on Pathe

Mark Bardenwerper citrogsa at charter.net
Sun Feb 2 18:40:36 PST 2014

On 2/2/2014 2:07 PM, Mark Bardenwerper wrote:
> On 2/2/2014 12:44 PM, Julian Vein wrote:

>>> Sorry also
>>> 36607
>>>
>>> 36775 Davenport Blues is definitely Lou.
>> ===============
>> Lord 10.0 doesn't show him on any session. 36775 gives Harry Reser.
>> There is a Lytell CD on Jazz Oracle. Perhaps they have a more up-to-date
>> personnel?
>>
>>        Julian Vein
>>
> Yeah,
> I noticed that. Lytell is terribly overlooked. I am going to buy the
> disk. For the most part, Lou is pretty easy to spot. His banjo style and
> sound are unique. The head pitch is high and his left hand is usually
> working overtime, with double picked runs interspersed with chords.
>
> https://www.dropbox.com/s/7qipeuayhhviv1p/DavenportBluesJimmyLytell.mp3
> <http://www.dropbox.com/s/7qipeuayhhviv1p/DavenportBluesJimmyLytell.mp3>

According to this discussion on the Bix forum, Rust credits Lou
Calabrese, but with a question mark.

The fact that Lytell and Calabrese worked together in the Capitolians
may or may not be taken as circumstantial. Could say the same for Reser
and Lytell with Hanshaw. But Reser's and Calibrese's styles are not similar.
http://www.network54.com/Forum/27140/message/1224889815/Not+Old+Man+Rhythm---

Referrals citing Lord are numerous
http://bixography.com/images/davblues.htm

Let's wait until the disk gets here and see if there is more detail in
the liner notes, but I see Reser getting credit for this as a mistake.

36741 Why Be Blue is clarinet and piano as is the other side, Stockholm
Stomp.
https://78records.wordpress.com/2013/05/16/fridays-playlist-may-17-%E2%80%A2-jimmy-lytell-clarinet-solos/

As is said here, with no recording file extant, it's a guessing game.

Wanna hear something uncanny? Listen to the beginnings of these two songs:
Lou Calabrese Lip stick
Gennett 6421
http://www.cappyfabrics.com/tmp/Lou%20Calabrese%20Gennett%206421%20Lip-Stick.mp3

and