[78-L] Seeger/Folkways memory

Robert Shirer rshirer at neb.rr.com
Tue Jan 28 22:00:34 PST 2014

Not to be crude, Cary, but I drool with envy.  I fondly remember many visits
to Rose Discount Records on Wabash under the "L" tracks in the Chicago Loop.
Because I was a graduate student at the time, I had little money, but they
had huge stocks of cut-out Elektra, Vanguard and other 60s folk albums.
Lots of overstock Folkways, as well.  I bought what I could; I always wish I
had had the means to stock up.  My favorite album, one I feared I had played
so much that it would wear out, was "Gibson and Camp at the Gate of Horn" on
Elektra, which had been out of print for years--this was the mid 70s.  One
day I found about 10 of them at Rose's, and I blew my budget for the next
few weeks and bought them.  I gave several to friends and relatives, but I
still have a few that haven't been opened.   But the Leadbelly 10 inchers. .
. ,  sigh.
Cheers,
Bob Shirer